Monday 21 January 2013

Aaron Draplin - A Design Inspiration

So i've known about this guy for a while now, one of my favourite brand designers and he has an awesome talk about how he got to where he is today, he found some recognition from this video below which outlines bad graphic design in America, this was the video I first saw of him and it inspired me to look further into him, I present to you, Aaron Draplin.


So his website for you to check out is Draplin.com, it contains all of his corporate identity work for clients such as Nike Air Max, Coal and many more. His work really stands out to me because of how simple it is, yet it's impact is massive, if you look at his massive portfolio it just works, it's pleasing to see and isn't too intrusive like a lot of identities that are out there today.



His work is vector based (as all brands should be), bold and rich colours which link with whatever the product they are branding is, his Cobra Dogs brand for instance is red and yellow which obviously link to the colours of ketchup and mustard, I believe this is to reinforce the product behind the brand, you want people's memory to always think of the product when they see your logo. 


Subtle things like rounding off the sharp corners and giving the logo an overall shape so it's not messy help and are nice to look at.

 I aim to incorporate some of his design personality into my brand/identity because of the reasons above, I will end this post with the hour long talk that I highly recommend watching, search for his other videos too as they are highly inspirational and great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment