Wednesday 23 January 2013

Reflection

Throughout the past year I have really tried to pinpoint what type of designer I want to be, during the first semester I really enjoyed the Observation and Communication module, trying to capture the essence of a building and your experience in one drawing was a challenge that was happily accepted.

Although we used a lot of traditional media in the first few modules I really want to focus my packaging around a working method I personally enjoy, it may be frowned upon but digital painting and illustration is a really enjoyable medium that I have dabbled in over the past year or two.

Some of the first few artists I stumbled upon were Anthony Jones (who's book I recently bought, titled Heaven's Hell) and Feng Zhu, they are primarily concept artists but have done Illustrations for a few big clients such as George Lucas, James Cameron and Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Feng Zhu 

Anthony Jones

A tendency I've noticed among arists i've found is that they do both concept art and illustration, and I can see why, the two subjects really coincide with each other and it doesn't take much work for a concept artist to do illustration or vice versa as long as the fundamental skills are there.

Some other really amazing artists I looked into were Derek Stenning and Theo Prins who use digital painting to create stunning visuals that are used to help create films and games, but also to help market the product whether it be a re-released version of a book, a poster or packaging for toys and other merchandise that all lead back to the original product (movie, game).

Derek Stenning

Theo Prins



No comments:

Post a Comment